"People are often unreasonable, irrational and self centered; forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; be kind anyway. If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies; succeed anyway. If you are honest and sincere, people may deceive you; be honest and sincere. What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight; create anyway. If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous; be happy anyway. The good you do today, will often be forgotten; do good anyway. Give the best you have and it may never be enough; give your best anyway. In the final analysis, it is between you and God; it was never between you and them anyway." - Mother Theresa

Friday, October 27, 2017

Coach Via

Oh Heyy!!

Things have simmered down since Tamara's last basketball game for the fall season. Her last game was last Saturday and it went just well. She scored once, not that we even keep score for her playing age group. But because she's my girl, of course I kept count. hahaa

Anyways. Coaching!

Coaching has been SUCH AN EXPERIENCE! There is way more pros then cons and that goes for the opportunity I had to coach Pre-K/Kindergarten and 1st/2nd graders. The two groups respond completely different but the fact that they are all just kids really did make my experience oh so much better.

I do have to admit - when walking into the Rec Center and the Staff sees me and yells, "Hey! Wassup Coach!" - I felt super cool. =)

Soccer is way more fun then basketball. Soccer was so simple and the kids had no issue following instructions but were WAY easily distracted. lol I remember joking with one of my sisters saying that our favorite play for soccer was - Stop chasing the butterflies! This soccer team has seriously been the best. I couldn't have had a more fun experience in this journey then being the coach for this little soccer team.

Leo - Leni - Isaiah - Hene

Now basketball on the other hand was little more challenging. One thing I learned about the ages of 1st grade/2nd grade is that they are harder to instruct and discipline. They have a different type of attitude when things don't go there way and they cry more. lol You would think I would be the other way around between the two age groups I coached but no. It was hard to simply explain that they have to work. That by itself. It's like a lot of them wanted to be an all star on the court without putting in hard work.

I had one player in particular that was so trying for me. He was the one that worked so hard but when things didn't work out in his favor, he would cry and get mad. There was so many times that he was fall to the ground and play the injured card even though he wasn't. This taught me a whole new kind of patience. I don't deal with this type of stuff with Tamara and Henele because that's just how I've diciplined them. But this is strictly basketball and I really had to be mindful of other parents and how they are upbringing their kids. So this type of patience really taught me some real empathy in the aspect of a mother. I don't judge other mothers and how they are bringing up their kids but when it reflect the outcome of my ability to coach, I felt I sometimes had to step in with "pep talks."

May have been challenging but it was definitely a learning point for me also.

Wesley - Sabdi - Tamara - Abram - Agustino

Overall, coaching has been amazing and absolutely loved the opportunity to coach my kids in their first sport seasons. Going forward, if I feel up to it, I do want to continue to coach. But for now, I think I will let others take care of the job. Not because this past round was too much for me but simply because I predict a few personal life changes occurring here in the near future and I want to make sure I can accommodate their sports lives with these predicted changes.

I'll save these changes for another post on another day.

XOXO Via

No comments:

Post a Comment