"People are often unreasonable, irrational and self centered; forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; be kind anyway. If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies; succeed anyway. If you are honest and sincere, people may deceive you; be honest and sincere. What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight; create anyway. If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous; be happy anyway. The good you do today, will often be forgotten; do good anyway. Give the best you have and it may never be enough; give your best anyway. In the final analysis, it is between you and God; it was never between you and them anyway." - Mother Theresa

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pursuit

"Don't ever let somebody tell you, you can't do something. Not even me. You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you, you can't do it. You want something, go get it. Period."



I've watched The Pursuit of Happiness at least once a week for the last two months. Only to watch this one scene. When Will Smith says this to his son. You might be wondering why I don't just watch that one scene. I don't think anyone could get the full effect of what he's saying and actually feel the courage you get out of it without watching the entire movie. This movie is what has changed everything for me. I could relate. And through Chris Gardners success, I've been reminded of my possibilities. I can make it.

One of the prerequisites for the CNA program at SLCC is to take the TABE Test. I've been out of school for going on 4 years now. That's a lot of time lost. I took the test yesterday and to my surprise, I aced it. Yeah, there were b's and c's here and there in different sub categories, but overall, I got an A! I was way excited. It was a 2 hour test and let me tell you, it felt like 10! I met with my adviser who accepted me into the CNA Program. I will start the first week of February and will be certified in 6 to 8 weeks. Then I just have to work on courses to get me into the Nursing program. Step by step, I'll be successful.

The road is clear. The way is clear. I smiled for the first time in so long. I was so sure all the broken gravel I had just gone over was sure to prepare the car for engine failure. The help of the 8 familiar faces have helped me get through the unstable road that I once thought was never ending. I feel as though I could do the impossible. And after getting through that road I remind myself, anything is possible. I could fly, dance, sing, scream and best of all not have one care in the world. 
The Kids in the back are now sleeping from all the crying. I look at them in the rear view mirror and whisper, "We're gonna be okay, we're gonna make it." The scenery is beautiful. Meadows as far as I could see. Some wild horses in the distance, the sun shining bright as it does in the middle of a warm spring day. The warm breeze feels good as I roll down the windows. And as I continue on in drive, I hold on to the steering wheel with both my hands, look up into the sky and say, "Thank You."

My sister Kuuipo says, "Smart is the new rich." True story people! I'm focused on what needs to be done. Following my dreams. And simply TRYING.

My pursuit has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment